Following on from the last post- I've been doing a lot more reading up on Vermicomposting. There's a lot more information out there now, than there was when I started about ten years ago. Think of all the worms I've probably killed in the meantime. At least I haven't had to buy any fresh ones, I've just muddled along with the ones I started with and presumably a fairly healthy dose of their offspring.
But as I've given away about a quarter pound to the school, and I've only about a half pound of adults indoors that I rescued from the outdoor bing before it got too cold, I've decided to try a breeding experiment to get my numbers back up again before spring.
I've placed about 80 adult worms in smallish bin, with bedding and a small amount of food where I'll leave them for about 2-3 weeks. The idea being that they'll breed like mad- either because they keep bumping into suitable mates or because they think there's a shortage of food and the end of the world is nigh!
Then I'll remove the bedding, with the new cocoons, put it back into the main bin and start again. I read somewhere that you can produce loads of cocoons really fast this way, and cocoons hatch into baby worms and baby worms grow into bigger worms and make more cocoons.... And soon we'll be overrun with wooooorms!!